Reports - balance figure

As of 24th December 2013 version 2.0 is no longer available for purchase. This is a general discussion and self help section for version 2.0, for people to post stuff they have found useful.
dsr
Reports - balance figure

Post by dsr » Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:36 am

I am producing Accounting Transactions Reports for a particular bank account. The account has an opening balance of £515.94. Sometimes the Report for each category includes the opening balance - for example, if the first entry in the category report is a credit of £10.00, the balance after that first line will be shown as £525.94 and the final Report total is inevitably £515.94 too high. Frustratingly, sometimes the Report comes out correctly, ignoring the opening balance on the bank account. I cannot see what I am doing right and wrong, to produce the correct and incorrect reports. Can you help, please?

David.

BankTree Support
Site Admin

Post by BankTree Support » Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:01 pm

If the opeing balance is 515.94 the final balance will be the sum of all credits and debits + 515.94 (This is correct)

If you do not see the opeing balance in the running balance figure it may be because you are viewing transactions for a given date range, you would then see the transactions within the date + the opeing balance.

dsr

Post by dsr » Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:31 am

Thank you for the response, although it doesn't really help me. To explain further, I have accounts set for each financial year: Accounts 2206-07, Accounts 2007-08, etc. I carry the bank balance forward from year to year and it is this balance that gets added to my report totals.

I have worked round the problem by temporarily changing the opening balance to zero before running the reports for a given year and then putting it back to the correct figure afterwards, but it is only a workaround. Could the program perhaps be changed in some way, to force a zero starting balance in accounting transaction reports?

David

BankTree Support
Site Admin

Post by BankTree Support » Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:13 pm

You parbably need to look at the other reports such as the Income Report, Expense report or Monthly cash flow. As the transaction report is a report of your true balance not just transaction during a given period.